Let’s take a break from drunkenVegas debauchery (only briefly – there’s still A LOT to catch up on) to talk about what kind of shit I’m in tomorrow :
Yeah, it’s tomorrow. Just like PCRF, it kinda snuck up on me. Turns out having your best friend and sister, both of whom like to take advantage of every possible cocktail-time available, isn’t really conducive to training.
(Not that I’m complaining or pretending I don’t.)
Actually, all the excuses aside, I think I’M bad for my training. I’ve got a million billion things on my mind – wedding, an upcoming move, travel plans out the wazoo, and work (blech) – and am just not high on the “I love running” chart right now.
Double crap :
B just bought Born To Run and is all geeked back up about running again. Seriously, dude has ran more in the last 3 days than I have the last 3 weeks, and he’s not even training for anything. I’ll rip it out of his paws as soon as he finishes the last page.
(As long as I survive tomorrow)
But in all seriousness, I’m being realistic here. And when I tell myself I’m “being realistic” it really means I’m making excuses and trying to keep from feeling bad about myself.
- The course is not friendly. I knew this when I signed up. (those damn low reg fees can make me do anything)
- I am even less-prepared than PCRF. Forced amnesia towards the pain of that race is happening. (I don’t even have a training log to prove my un-preparedness, because I’ve stopped doing that too)
- Oh, wait, I’m racing again this Saturday? On a downhill/flat course? So I should probably not die at Laguna and ruin my miracle chance of PR’ing there? (see note#1 about low reg fees for explanation of two races in six days while SHIT training.) ((that’s not an acronym))
So this is the plan :
- Walk. Lots. Especially up the hills. I’ve never done a run/walk plan (not on purpose, at least) and it’ll be interesting to see how my time is affected.
- Mentally prepare for a PW (1:58.17+). I’ll be happy if I come in sub-2.
- Think of it as a good training run for Fontana on Saturday. (this is my sorry attempt at finding the “silver lining” – I’m a natural
On that note, I’m gonna go for a short easy miles to convince myself my legs can still move that way. And then bake in the sun by the pool a while – because I heard that’s good race-prep, too.
More Vegas fun this afternoon/evening.